Many people want to know the capabilities of the Unix operating system. So, in this tutorial, I’ll discuss all the features and capabilities of Unix. The capabilities of Unix are also known as Unix architecture.
Before starting the discussion of the capabilities of Unix, I would like you to get the information about Unix that what is Unix? And parts of the Unix Operating system.
UNIX OPERATING SYSTEM
Unix is a multitasking, multi-user operating system. It was developed in the 1970s at the Bell Labs research center. It was developed by Ken Thompson, Dennis Ritchie, and others. Unix was designed for the programmer developing software to be run on it. It can also be run on other systems. Unix was designed for portable laptops and another computer system.
Unix system is distinguished by plain text for sorting data, and it is designed for a hierarchical file system. It uses a large number of software tools for different purposes. It was distributed to academic institutions and the government.
HISTORY OF UNIX
Unix is an operating system and, it is developed in the 1960s at Bell Labs. It is developed by AT&T, Novell, Brian Kernighan Dennis Ritchie, Ken Thompson, and Joe Ossanna. It uses an assembly language and C language. There are different kinds of Unix operating systems that are very advantageous.
Unix architecture is also known as the capabilities of Unix. There are three parts of the Unix operating system that is made up of, these are as follows:
A kernel is the hub of the Unix operating system that is used to allocates and determines time and memory. It handles the files to store them and also handles the communications.
Shell is the interface of the Unix operating system between the user and the Kernel. When a user logs in the I’d, the program firstly checks the password and user I’d or username, and after then it starts another program that is called the shell. This shell is a CLI. CLI stands for a command-line interpreter.
A command-line interpreter is used to interpret and translate the commands that the user types-in. It arranges the commands of the user to be carried out.
The users can customize their shell for their use. All the users can use the different shells on the same machine. When the commands terminate, the shell gives the user another prompt that is advantageous for the users.
FEATURES AND CAPABILITIES OF UNIX
There are many features and capabilities of the Unix operating system that are as follows:
- Unix system uses a centralized operating system that is used to manages the activities.
- It has a graphical interface and Command-line interface.
- All the non-Kernel software is designed and organized into separate Kernel processing.
- All the files are stored on disk in the hierarchical file system.
- It is a licensed proprietary.
- Unix is not an open-source OS.
- It is not free to use the operating system.
- Unix is used on different servers, PCs, and workstations.
- Unix supports fs, gpfs, hfs, hfs+, ufx, and xfs file systems.
- Unix has a Bourne shell as a default shell.
- In Unix, the source code is exclusive.
- Unix does not have an interchangeable interface.
- As it is a multitasking operating system, it can be used as a master control program.
- There are different commercial applications available on the Unix operating system.
- It became the standard operating system for the users in all the universities.
- It was a rapidly adopted operating system.
- Unix users require longer wait times to get and know the solution to the problem.