How To Cancel The Car Tax – The Ultimate Guide
If you are residing in the United Kingdom, you would know about the strict rules regarding the road and cars. However, if you don’t have the car to your name some time, you can get rid of the car and road tax. If you can relate to this, we have all the information you need to cancel the car tax. So, let’s hop in and have a look at all the details.
How To Cancel Your Vehicle Tax
If you need to cancel your vehicle tax, you need to have the following reasons. You need to communicate the reasons to DVLA, such as;
- If the car is transferred to someone else’s name through selling
- If the car isn’t on the road anymore
- If the insurance company has written off the car
- If the car is stolen
- If the car is exported outside the United Kingdom
- If the car was scrapped in the scrapyard
- If the car is registered and there is no vehicle tax from the authority
These scenarios are the only option you can get the car tax refund.
The Circumstances of Telling DVLA
There can be multiple circumstances of telling about the car to DVLA. The circumstances include the following;
- DVLA will cancel the vehicle tax
- If payment is done through direct debit, automatic cancellation will take place
- If there is time left on the vehicle tax, the refund cheque will be sent to you. The refund amount is as per the calculations of DVLA through the tax information
If you are seeking a refund, there are multiple limitations to keep in mind. If there are following things, you won’t be liable for the refund;
- 5% surcharge for the direct debit payments
- The credit card fees
- 10% surcharge for the six-month payment on the singular basis
Refund Of First Tax Payment
The refund amount will depend upon the lower of the following;
- rate of second tax payment
- first tax payment upon the vehicle registration
Once you communicate to DVLA about the car, you need to keep a track of the cheque. However, if the cheque doesn’t arrive within six weeks, you need to contact DVLA.
If you have the refund cheque but the wrong information is there, you need to as DVLA to correct the information.
The rules of gaining the tax refund are pretty easy in case of road tax. The only thing you need to ensure is that if you own the car or not. If the car is stolen, transferred someone else, off the road, scrapped, or written of, you are at liberty to claim a refund. DVLA will help in processing the cancellation request and there is no other way around it.
There will be no refund for the credit card fees, a 5% surcharge on direct debit, and 10% on a single six-month payment.
Contact Information of DVLA
- Telephone: 0300 790 6802
Monday to Friday, from 8 am to 7 pm
Saturday, 8 am to 2 pm
- Use the email Government email service to contact DVLA about vehicle tax and SORN.
- Vehicle Customer Services
This was all about How To Cancel The Car Tax – The Ultimate Guide. We hope we were able to help. If you need more information, you can comment below to get the help!